- offers good bowel preparation.
- gives fewer side effects, especially when compared with Picolax (stimulant preparation), among market leaders.
- is safe. It can be used in patients with renal, hepatic, cardiac problems and in the elderly.
- does not dehydrate or over-hydrate. It is osmotically balanced.
- does not cause flatulence. As PEG is a non-degradable preparation, it cannot be broken down by colonic bacteria and does not produce ignitable gases.
- is fast acting. Patients can eat up to 3 hours before its administration.
- is cost-effective. Saving hospital bed-space, nursing time, specialist time and repeated preparations.
- is excellent in emergency use.
- has an improved taste given by appropriate flavouring agents.
Plenty of clinical data is available on PEG + E solutions.